First let’s take a moment to bask in the glory of my horribly punny post title. Alright, good.
I love chips. I am a chip-a-holic. I don’t buy chips very often because I will eat them all. at once. without hesitation. It’s been known to happen.
For a while now I’ve been trying to make a really good, crispy, homemade oven baked potato chip. This seems like it should be easy enough, but I would end up with burned chips, mushy chips, and just plain icky chips.
Finally though, I’ve managed to make a stellar homemade potato chip! The key to getting a nice crispy chip is to pull as much moisture as possible from the potatoes. To do this we first dry them between layers of paper towel then use salt to draw out additional moisture.
Oven Baked Potato Chips
Ingredients (2 servings)
- 1 large baking potato
- sea salt
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 425
- Slice potato using mandolin. (You can also use a food processor, the size of a box grater, or cut them by hand, but the mandolin seems to yield the best results for even slices.)
- Layer potato slices between layers of paper towels to absorb moisture.
- Spray baking sheet with cooking spray and spread potatoes in single layer.
- Sprinkle with a small amount of salt and allow to sit 2 – 3 minutes.
- Blot potato slices with a paper towel to absorb additional moisture drawn out by the salt.
- Spray potato slices with cooking spray and sprinkle with a bit more salt (to taste.)
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes until chips start to brown slightly.
- Turn on broiler to high and broil for about 3 minutes.
- If the chips are still soft, bake for another 5 – 10 minutes.